Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rules and Rule Breakers of OkCupid

The official rules and guidelines for OkCupid can be found under the FAQ section of the website. There is a privacy policy section that describes security, rules about sharing information with other parties, etc… Most of this covers an individual user’s privacy rights and the privacy of a profile, IP address, cookies, etc… The other main rules section of OkCupid is the “Terms and Conditions” section which covers copyright laws, terms of use and other rules and regulations for using the site.

okcupid privacy issues
okcupid terms of agreement

There are no actual state or federal laws mentioned on the site however it is written that users are subject to federal and local laws. Also, it mentions specifically that foreign users should obey internet rules and regulations as specified by their country.

Violations of OkCupid rules

Adult Users Only

This Website is not intended for children under 18 years of age. If you are under 18, you are not authorized to use this Website and will not be afforded access to any features of this Website that allow for you to provide information to us or to share information with other users of this Website.


The difficulty in finding people who violate the 18 and over age rule is that there’s no way for me to verify if someone is younger than 18. Madison describes in his article on Social Software and Governance some of the legal issues surrounding computer technology. He suggests that “Some of the difficult contemporary legal issues surrounding computer technology is best understood as problems of trying to identify informal groups and their patterns.” (Madison 157) Since people can easily lie about their age, post younger pictures of themselves, etc… It’s hard to identify the so called underage users. It’s also important to note that for OkCupid in particular underage users aren’t united per se. I believe groups of underage users (such as high school friends) might join the site at the suggestion of their other friends, but it’s not like these users necessarily seek out the company of other members who are under 18 years of age.

Underaged user?

Although I found several users who appeared to be underage, the one I was most sure of claimed that she was only 17 years old when she filled out her profile. Pepsi 637 wrote that she was 17 in her profile, but I believe that now she’s 18 years old since she’s been a member for almost 2 years. Here is a link to her profile: Pepsi637's profile.

I did not see any immediate reactions to her claim. It’s possible that she was lying and she was actually over 18 when she joined. Since she’s been a member since May of 2007, I’m guessing that the administrators didn’t notice or haven’t bothered to take any sort of action.

One Person Per Profile

You agree your profile will represent only you. If you are in a relationship: congratulations! You and your partner should maintain separate profiles and link to each other.


April and Chris

After reading that there can only be one person per profile, I tried to find examples of people that violated this rule. First I tried searching for keywords like “We” or “Our” but those were deemed to generic by the search engine. I thought to myself, “What keyword would help me to find people who would exploit this rule?” Then I came up with “threesome” which yielded several results. It didn’t take me long to find a couple using one profile, “aprilandchris21.” It was pretty obvious considering that both of their names were in the profile. There were other couples that advertised for “threesomes” however most of the couples had separate profiles.
April and Chris, a couple with only one profile

Unique and Bona Fide Profile

You agree to create only one unique profile and one person per profile. In addition, in order to maintain the integrity of the Website, by joining, you agree that your use of the Website shall be for bona fide relationship-seeking purposes (for example, you may not use the Website solely to compile a report of compatible singles in your area, or to write a school research paper). From time to time, we may create test profiles in order to monitor the operation of our services.


It's me

Ok, so one user who violates this rule is PillowEatsBear, ie. myself. I created a profile for my project in ICS691 class and not because I was seeking a bona fide relationship. Interestingly enough there’s an explicit rule that you should not use this site to write a school paper. There’s no way for me to prove that someone joined a site to write a paper so I only have myself as an example. Here’s a link to the profile of PillowEatsBear:

PillowEatsBear: Extreme Rulebreaker

Best Course of Action for the user that claimed to be 17

For pepsi637 who claimed she was 17 in her profile, I don’t think that OkCupid should take any course of action. It appears as though she violated the rule in the past by signing up as an 18 year old when she was actually 17. However, since time has passed I don’t think that she should be punished now because she is of legal age. One of the problems with age is that it’s very difficult to verify. For all we know she (if she is really a she) could be a 35 year old posing as a 17 year old posing as an 18 year old. OkCupid could take action against anyone who lies about their age, but then there’s a lot of people who do so. A quick search for the 85-99 year olds will show people who appear significantly younger in their profile pictures. I know of several people who post that they’re 99 years old because they don’t want to be targeted by people searching for a specific age bracket. If OkCupid started banning people who lied about their age, I think there would be an uproar.

Best Course of Action for One Person per Profile

Personally I don’t think this rule is a huge deal in practice, but I understand that OkCupid doesn’t want multiple people sharing a profile to be a widespread practice. I think the best course of action is to inform AprilandChris21 that Chris (I think that April is the one that operates the profile) needs to get his own profile. He can just sign up for a generic profile and problem solved. On the other hand there’s also no solid proof that two people have used that profile. It seems like April operates the profile on behalf of her husband since they’re interested in casual sex encounters with another woman.

Best Course of Action for the Horrible User that joined OkCupid to write a research paper

Assuming that somehow OkCupid finds out that I joined in order to write my final paper for ICS691 I would say that I deserved to be banned for life…. Or possibly no course of action should be taken. I think that if I was messaging people simply to gather data then maybe I should receive a warning because I’m not using the website to form relationships with other users. However I don’t think that OkCupid moderators have the right to ban a user simply because he uses the site in ways that aren’t intended. I think the only reason should be if my actions have harmful repercussions on others or if I cause other users to have a negative experience on OkCupid.

Just browsing the forums, I’ve seen several examples of users who create negative experiences with others by getting into flame wars. What’s worse about OkCupid as opposed to some other forum is that some of these people met in real life (for example they went on a date) and so they have some credibility when they attack or insult other users. For example Melody_Melody in the image below wrote a negative review about her experience with user AntonioE.

Melody_Melody

Curiously enough, the responses to her post were mixed. Some people offered sympathy while others said that she should've known better. I'm not defending the behavior of AntonioE, but I feel that it isn't in good taste to insult another person in a forum on a dating website after going on a few dates with that person.

There are also examples of users that post IM conversations or emails from other users. Most of them show other users in negative light.

Not so great conversation

When users make derogatory remarks and site the behavior of other users in a public forum I consider those comments to fall under Gazan’s category of interpersonally exploitive behavior as he mentions in his paper on Rogue Users. I think members can report malicious forum behavior to moderators, but I feel there should be some sort of repercussion when users slander other users on the forum.

I’ve noticed that in the forums there are rants about failed dates, but many don’t mention the names of other users. Although it’s not mentioned, I think maintaining user privacy is one of the unspoken rules of OkCupid. In most cases users don’t share names when ranting about failed dates even though I found a few examples of people who do.

However the article by Kollock and Smith mentioned that “In every successful community that they studied, the monitoring and sanctioning of people’s behavior was undertaken by community member’s themselves rather than external authorities.” So maybe reporting bad behavior of other members is a way of informal control that helps make OkCupid successful. I’ve noticed that sometimes people will start threads about banning a certain user. In this way they inform other users of bad behavior and discourage it.

Advocating a ban in the forum

However this is not to say that moderators don’t serve a function. It seems like some users have been banned as many highly controversial forum postings have Inactive Users who posted there. I’m guessing they were either removed by moderators or they deactivated their accounts. Kollock and Smith say that people will cooperate with the rules provided that they feel others are operating under the same rules as well and not getting away with any negative behavior. “That is, many people are contingent cooperators, willing to cooperate as long as most others do. Thus, monitoring and sanctioning serves the important function of providing information about other persons' actions.”

Overall I would say that OkCupid doesn’t seem to have a lot of regulation by moderators. Users tend to self moderate and users tend to make public any rude behavior on the part of other users. When a user posts a IM conversation it causes embarrassment to the other user and discourages him or her from derogatory comments. There’s also the possibility that people write fake IM conversations or emails, but I would think that this isn’t common. Many users violate OKCupid’s user policies (Including a certain paper writing delinquent) but those specific policies are difficult to enforce due to the difficulty of ascertaining user information in an online community. It’s clear that there’s also unwritten rules of conduct that aren’t to be found on the site including stealing people’s pictures, posting fake pictures/profiles, harassing other users, etc…

19 comments:

  1. Your example of posting IMs or divulging about a date gone wrong are a great way for the community to provide oversight (Cosley's solution). It seems like users don't even know they're creating codes of conduct while seeking their revenge. I agree with you that this is probably the best way to provide quality control. The users are creating an environment in which they'd like to participate. This is likely more effective than a user rating system, because other users can view the reasoning behind the malice. It allows the truth about users to be revealed.

    One more thing: Facebook has a ton of couples who combine their profile (which is also against the rules). I find it difficult to interact, because I have to specify which person I'm talking to. Also, their status posts can be confusing (ie. "Bendsey Donde is not feeling well." Does this mean Ben is not feeling well? Or Lindsey?) If it is possible to enforce this rule, I would support it. It's not difficult to keep separate profiles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope OkCupid doesn't ban you before our final project is due. :)

    I didn't realize that people would say that they are age 99 because they want to keep from being turned up in the list of results based on the age criterion. I always thought that it was some game those users were playing, you know, to try to be funny and see what happens.

    In regards to the user who complained about the person who dumped her, she should have left him anonymous. If I were her, I should be concerned with what he might do if he found out that I ranted about him. On OCs like OkCupid and CouchSurfing, people should be aware of the repercussions that could result, not just online but also offline. Since the two users met in person before, and I am assuming that they stayed together at her place, it is scary to think what could happen.

    Your example combined with my what-if scenario make up the reason why people should follow the rules on OCs that encourage online-to-offline social interaction: to protect people's safety.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, do you think if we published all the wrong-doings of our dates that the quality of the dates would improve?

    Okay, I'm just kidding. But, I think it is quite dangerous to publish humiliating reprimands online. Period. It's just as bad as bringing your relationship's dirty laundry to a public forum. Exercising good behavior is good practice period. If I were a person OkCupid, I wouldn't date that girl because she's revenge-happy. You know?

    However, I like that a community is allowed to call each other on bad behavior. But, I think there needs to be some kind of protocol. First, the one-on-one, then the reporting to governing body, then the public humiliation. The last one seems to be the most effective. After all, the more we can keep our indiscretions private, the more we seem to indulge them. However, once it goes public, that's when we curb our evil side.

    By the way, I find it fascinating that OkCupid discourages people from joining just to write a research paper. I suppose if I were a member and research writers just display interest in my profile because of a paper, then I wouldn't trust the site anymore. Besides safety, I think it's important for people to feel like we can trust a site with what we intend it to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,

    You really don't understand why Melody posted her comments? Do you really think it was just revenge?

    If you do, you just lots my respect.

    Regards, Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom, can you explain what you mean? I believe Mike was just trying to say that the user was only telling people her experiences with the person she dated and is not necessarily out to defame him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie - I haven't looked at facebook profiles with multiple users but I assume that it's primarily couples. OkCupid profiles that I've seen that represent multiple people are primarily for couples looking for "extra participants" in sexual practices. I haven't seen any couples sharing a profile on okcupid that are looking for dating or activity partners. I don't imagine facebook is the same. What do you think is the main reason why people create joint accounts in facebook?

    BJ - While I sympathize with Melody_Melody for her date, I feel like posting results of a date is some sort of electronic slander. Certainly if he had done anything illegal on the date she should complain to the proper authority and get him banned.

    J_Mastin - I agree with what you said about bringing the "dirty laundry" to a public forum. I think there should be some sort of guidelines about proper forum behavior and what's not acceptable for a data website. I'm surprised OkCupid doesn't write this in their terms and conditions.

    Tom - I did not write anything about why Melody posted her comments or anything about revenge.

    I sympathize with her situation and I can understand the reasoning for posting her story, however my point is that it can be detrimental to the online dating experience if specific users are singled out. Almost other posters on OkCupid don't reveal the username of a person they've dated when they complain about the behavior of their date. She could have written a warning about trusting people after only 4 dates without mentioning AntonioE's username.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What difference does it make if someone has an individual profile or a joint one? I wonder why administration felt that this was an important to limit one person per profile. I did think it was sad that at their age April and Chris didn't "get to have any fun very often." It is interesting that you would violate the Unique and Bona Fide Profile rule. Do a lot of people make up profiles for school research papers? If you were discovered violating the rule, what would be the worst thing that can happen? You would be banned from the site? If you were just on the site to complete a research paper, I doubt you would mind very much. I understand BJ's point about dissing someone who knows where you live, but there must be a way of providing reviews of people that either lie about themselves or act badly. I believe that negative reviews are a way of dealing with profile deception or bad behavior. Isn’t giving a person a negative review like rating answers or questions on Answerbag?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Age is definitely very difficult to prove in the online environment. You stated that people list themselves as 99 so that they are not targeted because of their age. Well, all the profiles I created for this class say that I’m over 50. I thought this would make it more difficult to find my true identity. I’m sure that there are more reasons for lying about your age other than being a teenager who wants to see adult content.

    Dr. Gazan has been a horrible influence on you! Because of his class you are a rule breaker!! :o This is one of those “oh yeah, prove it!” situations. Judging from all of the studies and articles about SNS, this type of situation where an account is created to study the site instead of to be a true user is happening a lot. I’m sure the practice is on the rise being that this trend is still so young.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Age verification is difficult to do with online accounts because (as you mentioned in your post) individuals can select any age when creating a profile. The Denise Guerin’s Session 7 post suggests that individuals post different ages because they may want to remain anonymous to the public while using these social network sites to stay in contact with friends and family. OkCupid should not ban users because of falsifying their age. Anonymity provides a layer of security for the user because it can make it more difficult for others with malicious intentions to obtain your identity.

    However, if anyone discovers that a member is a minor, they should report that member to the OkCupid admins to remove their account. In the case of pepsi637, it seems that she is not a minor according to the posts on her profile. It sounds like she is currently 19 or 20 years old. Because it is difficult to monitor everything that a minor does on the Internet, parents and guardians should educate their children on the dangers of using the Internet. Perhaps OkCupid should post a warning on their site to minors informing them about the implications of being a minor on a dating SNS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Craigslist has been receiving a lot of negative attention recently because of an alleged murder that has occurred through a meeting established on the site. There has been lots of focus on misuse of the craigslist for illegal activity like drugs and prostitution that is an ongoing problem. This is despite the community's involvement in aiding with inappropriate content. It appears OKcupid has something similar. Given that you've provided examples, do you think community involvement is an effective way to monitor content?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Junie - I don't really mind if people have two profiles but maybe OkCupid doesn't want that because dating is typically between individual people (at least in my experiences). I'm sure if people had to sift through profiles with multiple users they would be less interested in the site. I think the problem with negative reviews is that there's potential for lying and scheming. Maybe a guy would create a female profile and blast other guys to lessen the competition. I think the problem is not so much in the structure as it is in the competition with other dating websites. I certainly wouldn't want to be on a site where any of my ex-girlfriends could write things about me for anyone to see.

    GT - People have all sorts of reasons for putting different ages. I read that sometimes older women put their age a little younger on a dating website in order to attract men. My grandma wouldn't put her real age because she has trouble remembering it.
    If social networking sites started banning people who joined the site in order to do research, it would make a few professors in this department very sad.

    TomJenni - Anonymity may be important in many situations, but for dating websites and others that involve meeting someone in real life trust is also important. I think it's detrimental for people to lie on a dating website. It would be frustrating to arrange a meeting with a person only to find out that he or she posted fake pictures, is actually 20 years older or younger, etc...

    Dean - I think it's a good way to monitor content online but not so much for offline content. For Craigslist I'm not sure if there's enough of a community network (due to anonymity) that allows for people to talk. Users of Craigslist Casual Encounter section probably want to remain anonymous when the carryout their transgressions. As for the Craigslist killer I don't know of any action that Craigslist could have done to prevent his killings. It's not like the community was connected enough that someone would notice when a user went missing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! pertandingan yang sangat seru dari meron dan wala untuk anda yang mau menonton klik disini!
    dan dapatkan seputar sabung ayam hanya di sini http://www.sateayam.net/
    https://agentaruhanayam.quora.com/Menguatkan-kualitas-Leher-Sabung-Ayam-Lebih-Kuat-Dan-Kebal

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow! pertandingan yang sangat seru dari sudut AGAW melawan BIYA untuk anda yang mau menonton klik href="http://www.ayamkari.co">disini!
    dan dapatkan seputar sabung ayam hanya di sini www.sateayam.org
    judicockfight.wordpress.com/2018/06/21/beberapa-gaya-bertarung-jenis-sabung-ayam-pilipin-pisau/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Trick Gampang Memenangkan Permainan Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online Klik Di Sini

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya http://www.bakarayam.co

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://bakarayam330033.blogspot.com/2018/08/langkah-buat-sabung-ayam-si28net-tahan.html/

    ReplyDelete
  15. S128poker kembali hadirkan promo freechip tanpa deposit untuk semua member setia S1288-POKER.
    Karena banyaknya request dari member yang belum beruntung kemarin, jadi kami hadirkan lagi.
    Jangan lewatkan kesempatan PROMO MODAL TANGGAL TUA DARI S1288POKER 25.000

    PROMO MODAL TANGGAL TUA DARI S1288POKER 25.000

    Info Lebih Lanjut Bisa Hub kami Di :
    BBM : 7AC8D76B
    WA : 087782869981
    ===========================================
    baca juga artikel :

    Link Alternatif S1288poker

    S1288poker Judi POker Online

    CS S1288poker

    S1288poker Indonesia

    ReplyDelete
  16. WINNING303 - JUDI BOLA ONLINE | CASINO ONLINE | SLOT ONLINE | POKER ONLINE TERPERCAYA

    BOLA 303

    CASINO 303

    TOGEL 303

    TOGEL POKER

    BO POKER

    * KUNJUNGI SITUS KAMI DI *

    www.winning303.net


    *NB : MENANG BERAPAPUN, PASTI KAMI BAYAR !!! *

    * Melayani LiveChat 7 x 24 Jam Nonstop :
    - WA : +6281717177303
    - BBM : WINNING303
    - LINE : WINNING303*



    DAFTAR SEKARANG

    ReplyDelete
  17. * KUNJUNGI SITUS KAMI DI *

    www.winning303.net


    *MENANG BERAPAPUN, PASTI KAMI BAYAR !!! *

    * Melayani LiveChat 7 x 24 Jam Nonstop :
    - WA : +6281717177303
    - BBM : WINNING303
    - LINE : WINNING303*



    DAFTAR SEKARANG

    ReplyDelete
  18. How to find developers for your project? Here are some tips to help you to find the right developer and assemble the perfect development team.

    ReplyDelete