Friday, March 13, 2009

Online Social Recommendation System vs. Real World Advice Seeking

The two areas I’d like to look at for this blog are online social recommendation systems vs. real world advice seeking. Online social recommendation systems are typically based on some sort of voting or rating system in which many users will evaluate many things. Lerman mentions that on social media sites, like Digg, thousands are people are constantly evaluating articles. The aggregate opinions of thousands are what promote an article to the front page or let it slip behind other ones. I can only speak for myself when it comes to real world advice seeking, but I usually look for the opinions of a few trustworthy sources or else ask my mom. In certain situations I’ll seek advice from people who I consider to be experts in a given field. For example, when I started my Roth IRA I sought advice from a financial advisor. I give more weight to certain individuals when it comes to real world advice seeking, but for online social recommendation systems I usually don’t give an individual opinion much weight.

Lerman describes “social filtering” as a mechanism in which a user receives information and ratings on products and based on evaluations or recommendations from friends or acquaintances in an online social community. Some social recommendation systems make this easily accessible and thus feedback from an online friend/acquaintance/fellow user can occur without prompting. For example in Digg you see the article rating (diggs) right next to the article. In contrast, real world advice is not often given unless asked.

In her article, Lerman did some statistical analysis to show that users tend to digg the articles submitted by their friends and they also digg the stories their friends digg. To some extent this applies to real world recommendations as well. I tend to have similar views as my friends and their influences tend to rub on me. To me, this comparison centers on the issue of trust I explained about in my last blog entry on Couch Surfing.

My friend mentioned that digg changed the algorithm that determines what articles get on the front page about a year ago. It used to be heavily favored toward the articles that had the most overall votes, but now it’s more about article that have been uprated recently. He said that it upset some of long time contributors who had many friends and were used to having their choice works on the front page. I want to believe that in theory, having many people rate something will eliminate any individual bias since those individuals will be outvoted by the will of the many. However if what gets viewed and rated is biased toward people with connections, then true quality falls second to relationships. I personally feel that there’s a bit of bias towards friends, but overall quality is still the larger factor in online social evaluation.

Recent articles on Digg

New Digg Algorithm Angers Some Users

One of the features of having multiple users rating articles in digg is that it gives less weights individual users. In real world situations getting advice from one or two people means that those opinions will carry more weight in decision making. From a statistical perspective, having a larger sample size of opinions means that one is more likely to get a rating system that is more reflective of the greater population. On the other hand, one problem is verifying the validity of the reviews. Online users have more anonymity so people are less accountable than in real life. I think it’s easier to judge emotional investment of a user and his or her rating in real life (not counting professional actors). For some social recommendation systems, point voting like in Answerbag or Digg doesn’t reveal a user’s involvement in the decision. Some users might have a really strong positive opinion, but his/her vote is treated the same as a user with a mild opinion.
For online social recommendation systems that involve more user input such as reviews on Amazon, there is the problem of misinterpreting text. For example I’ve seen on Amazon examples of sarcastic book reviews that might seem like praise but are actually mocking the book and the author. One might argue that the same applies for real life sarcasm, but I feel it’s more difficult to interpret written sarcasm due to lack of facial cues, tonal cues etc…

One strength of an online social recommendation system is that it centers on products and it’s easy to find reviews for a given product. For example let’s say that I want to know if I should buy the book “Facebook for Dummies” to help me in my social computing class. On Amazon, it’s easy to get such a review simply looking up the user reviews. Sometimes in real life it’s difficult to find knowledgeable people who can give sound advice in a particular area. For instance, it might be difficult for me to find someone who has read that book in real life.

Facebook For Dummies

On the other hand, one problem with social recommendation systems is that they don’t tend to do a good job tailoring reviews to a particular user. In real life, you can discuss your background, your particular mood, etc… with others so that their advice suits your particular needs at that time. For example if I know my friend just broke up with his girlfriend I wouldn’t recommend a romantic movie to him even if I thought it was a good movie. Instead social recommendation systems are typically designed for a user to learn about the interests of other users. If you’re the type of person that’s into specific, obscure interests chances are that online recommendation systems will bury those under the interests of the majority in that social community. However, with tagging and other association mechanisms in some social recommendation systems once you find something of particular interest, many online systems also can link that to similar interests. For example, on Amazon there’s a feature that says, “Users who bought this book also bought these other books: ....”

Charlie Weis fans might also like books on Lou Holtz and Notre Dame Football

Online recommendation systems work well in tandem real advice seeking in that each presents a different type of recommendation that together paints a brighter picture. Online systems display the opinions of many other users in a convenient and organized manner. Point, star or other types of unit rating systems provide easy comparisons between products and services. Each product/service is rated by many users and thus there is less weight to individuals. This prevents outlier opinions from having too much influence. These systems are useful when trying to see general opinions of a wide audience. Also, the seeker of advice can remain more anonymous in real life and thus eliminate any personal biased towards you. If you’re a famous celebrity people might give biased answers to you in real life while online anonymity allows for more candid evaluations.

Real life recommendations provide another type of evaluation. Typically they’re more in depth and can be tailored to your personal situation. They’re also much easier to verify for validity. On many online evaluation sites I don’t know much about the personal identity of the evaluator or the user. In real life I tend to give more credit to advice from people who I believe have more expertise. This can be difficult or even impossible for some online recommendation systems. However, real life recommendations are difficult to gather in mass. This is why sometimes online recommendation systems are more suited to a particular effort and other times it’s more practical to seek real life recommendations.

7 comments:

  1. The idea of online recommendation systems surveying a mass of people vs. real life advice seeking tailored to your needs seems right on. Do you think that there could eventually be a split in online recommendation systems so that some would gather the opinions of the masses and provide a general consensus while another system would be more focused on specific content with contributors that had expertise in the subject? I realize that this would be fairly difficult to achieve but it's an interesting idea. I think that if you take the online and offline together to gain advice, you'll end up with a good picture but I think that the ultimate source of information shouldn't be downplayed- mom. *wink* Can we put her online somehow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job. I liked the way you tied the trust factor to this week’s blog. Your evaluation of strengths and weaknesses of online and offline advice seeking was very insightful. I agree with you that nonverbal cues (i.e. facial expression, tone of voice, and gesture) are intrinsic to real world advice seeking. Overall, it seems that advice and opinion seeking in real world has a slightly more personalized touch. I would also turn to the same types of resources that you talked about (i.e. family members, experts) when I seek advice and opinion in real world, even though our conversations may not be on a face-to-face basis. At the same time, the larger size of opinions on the web, as you nicely outlined in your blog, and their accessibility gives online social recommendation system a certain niche. What came to my mind were book and movie reviews and the like (Stacy has an interesting take on online and real world [her own] movie recommendation).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice discussion with very good points. I had not really thought about how I actually "trusted" each manner of advice; I find that I completely agree with your assessment of how each type of advice is handled (seek out specific expertise in a real world situation and place more weight of trust in them vs online where the trust is more diluted and the consensus holds more weight than the individual). I found your part about the tailoring of advice being very dependent upon situational factors very insightful. Getting at and processing this very personal advice from an online system and producing meaningful results/advice from it will be the big challenge with online recommendation systems. Short of mind-reading technologies (or plugging one's brain directly into the network where the system can "extract" this information), I don't see how this can be done with online systems; though, if one can be developed it will almost certainly rule the marketplace (though, I guess if one can read minds, why stop there, might as well take over the world).

    Other than my somewhat contrived attempt above, do you see any way of combining the strengths of online recommendation systems with those of in-person advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike.

    I have little faith in financial advisors. I hope you're doing better with your Roth IRA!

    You make a good point about how two sources of advice are used in tandem. I think the real world advice as a resource is probably scarce in comparison to online recommendations. Real world advice is often preferable but lots of times, the stuff I'm trying to seek advice on isn't all that significant. It turns out that online advice, although it can be sub-par, is often good enough. Just seeing the number of stars on some place like amazon for online purchases is reassuring. The reviews seem to be reliable enough from my experiences. I think for the the significant decisions like large purchases or financial advice, the online resources serves as a good starting point whereas the real life advice sources can be referenced for the authoritative advice once the bad options have been weeded out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought your example about recommending (or not) a romantic movie sort of brought home the best part of real life advice seeking--the person you ask might actually know something about you, and the answer could be individually tailored. Specifics tend to get glossed over in exchange for mass appeal online. Mass appeal isn't always bad, but it is less individual. And even if the romantic movie was awesome, redefined the genre, ushered in a new era in film-making, and swept the academy awards, I still wouldn't want to see it right after breaking up with my boyfriend. Even if online user recommendations are the best for finding interesting news items, I doubt it will ever actually replace the phone call you make to your friend to ask their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments,

    lisjennier -
    I believe the idea of a split system of recommendation has been done with respect to movies. Yahoo has a members review and a critics review as well as counts of the actual # of reviewers. The critic's review is just the reviews of professionals (Roger Ebert, etc...) placed on the page. The members review requires each movie reviewer to sign up and have a profile. Each member's review links to that person's profile, so you can check out how that member rated other movies as well. I think it's a good example of how a mixed system is more effective than the individual systems.

    as-ics691 -
    I remember browsing answerbag for assignment 3, and noticing that a user put a video link with his question. In the video the user talked about his background and his reason for asking the question. He did it via webcam so you could see his facial expressions and other visual cues. I'm wondering if such a system could become mainstream online. Clearly, most answerbag users did not include such short videos in their questions or answers.

    Dave K. -
    I think that online Q and A sites could be more personal if the system was setup so users could explain their situation in detail and maybe include video, pictures, information links etc... I envision something like the "Dear Abby" column where a user writes a paragraph or two explaining the situation. Only, instead of one person giving advice you have hundreds of people. Yahoo answers is sort of set up that way except it's not necessarily as personal. However I think it would require some incentives for people to take the time to read or view the background material.

    Dean -
    I decided to start my Roth IRA at Vanguard instead of listening to the advice of a friend in the financial field who suggested I get a broker. Luckily I started it in February so my loses are minimal at this point.

    How much attention do you pay to the reviews of the reviews? I tend to trust online reviews as a starting point as well. Before starting my Roth IRA I did a lot of online research and I also visited three different financial advisers at banks, and brokerage firms. Ultimately the online advice convinced me more than the real world advice.

    chakroff -
    Your comments made me think about something a friend said to me sometime ago. She told me that sometimes when she asked questions she didn't want advice, but rather she just wanted someone to listen to her problems. I wonder if the thought of thousands of people hearing about your problems inspires people to share this information online.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to think myself a trusting person, but that's not entirely true. I consulted a financial advisor for my Roth IRA account AND checked for information online to make sure my best interest was being met. I swear I saw dollar signs in his eyes and a little drool dribble down when I divulged my financial information. This was a few years ago before the market crash, but still, ya have to check. I'm one of those people that use one to confirm the other. I'll ask for real world advice and then do what I can to make sure it all adds up. Mostly for major decisions like the Roth or stock purchases. When it comes to movies and Amazon reviews, I say win some loose some.

    ReplyDelete